Reply To: ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips Reply To: ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips

anomalocaris
Participant

Not a matter of preaching for me. I can’t afford treatment, so meds are not an option for me. I can tell you what works for me, but I can’t promise it will work for you. Years ago, a connection was made between natural environments and ADD, to the point where some people began referring to ADD as NDD — Nature Deficit Disorder. A lot of kids with ADHD perform much better in school, focus better and are less “hyperactive” when they’re taught outdoors.

I find this is the best thing for me too. Indoors, I’m either restless or or a zombie, constantly stressed and frantic. Unfocused, disorganized. You know — ADD! In natural environments I’m calm, focused, organised, energized in a good way. I often stay out into the wee hours of the morning, patrolling rural highways for rattlesnake rescues, and then have to be up by 7 to make it to work on time. I’ll get physically exhausted, but at the same time, I’m more more relaxed and focused during the day, and just feel better in general than when I haven’t been out in the desert all night.

I have no idea whether this (the outdoors, not the rattleys) would help you or not, but it’s an easy thing to try for a time. Makes a HUGE difference for me.