Reply To: need help with balancing meds and supplements

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD need help with balancing meds and supplements Reply To: need help with balancing meds and supplements

microfish
Participant

As I said, the ritalin is working pretty well. I don’t have anything to compare it to of course, not having tried others, but it’s certainly a big improvement compared to pre-treatment. And promising enough that I wasn’t compelled to ask for a new medication.

The main downsides are that I don’t feel ‘fully covered’ all day. The effectiveness seems to come in patches, and there’s often a late-afternoon slump. But from what I’ve read, that’s very common, and even normal. I may try Concerta once my current ritalin prescription runs out in 3 months, since it’s more slow-release than Ritalin IR and LA, but until then, I’ve heard that these sorts of ADD rebounds can be mitigated somewhat with well-timed supplements.

Thank you for the links, but I’ve already seen them when I was researching about what I should consider taking – in particular, the “Vitamin Power!” one, which is a good summary, though contains only cursory information. Of the ones recommended there, I’ve gone with Zinc and Magnesium, though not with iron (I probably have enough from the copious amounts of broccoli, beans and greens I eat, and the form of iron in most supplements is mildly toxic). I’ve started drinking green tea for the theanine. Pycnogenol appears useful, though studies seem to suggest that it only makes about a 5% improvement, so I skipped that one. Valerian and Lemon Balm seemed less relevant to me, as I’m not hyperactive and I don’t have bad insomnia. Inositol is something I may look into one day, but it usually comes in a B complex multivitamin, which is a turn off for me because they almost always contain folic acid, which has been shown in studies to increase the risk of cancers (unlike folate, which is the healthy, non-synthetic form that’s found in food).

So I feel that I’m beyond the “what should I take?” stage, and onto the “when should I take it?” stage.

Apart from the Rhodiola, which I’ve already ruled out, the other supplements on my list (omega 3, L-Carnitine, L-Tyrosine, magnesium) are all things that I’m already eating every day in food, so I’m not overly concerned about adverse interactions. Though I am interested in perhaps fine-tuning their intake to optimise their effects.

I know that if I ask my current psychiatrist about this stuff, he’ll look at me blankly and then go to his computer to google it. And I’m reluctant to seek out another expensive professional just to ask about what time of day to take my supplements, as I can imagine that the answer may well be “um, whenever it says on the bottle”. Though I guess an integrative medicine doctor would probably help.

Would a neuropsychologist be likely to have expertise on these areas? My psychiatrist is from the old “do a quick assessment then hand out prescriptions like a vending machine” school, and I feel like I’m missing out on the benefits of getting actual therapy and counselling. A counselling psychologist would be good with the therapy, but would be unlikely to know enough about the chemical side of things and unable to prescribe meds. Finding a type of clinician who was well versed in both areas would be very helpful. Would a neuropsychologist perhaps be a good option?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by microfish.