Reply To: Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation Reply To: Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation

Penny Williams
Keymaster

My daughter, not diagnosed with ADHD but with anxiety, has been much the same all through high school (she graduates next week). She tells me she has a hard time reading people and is scared to death of accidentally saying something insensitive, offensive, etc., so she just doesn’t try. She has a few friends but rarely sees them outside of school (they invite her to parties, but she hates parties).

I used to push her to try to do things outside of school with friends. It just stressed her out. Eventually, I accepted that she’s an introvert, has a lot of social anxiety (as do I), and is genuinely more comfortable being at home or with another person one-on-one.

Here’s more on social anxiety:

You’re Not Shy or Stuck Up. You Have Social Anxiety Disorder.

And on helping teens with social skills:

Social Smarts: The Teen Years

By the way, my son (14), who is diagnosed with ADHD, spends a lot of time on the computer, and has finally made some real friends because of that shared interest.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism