I have struggled to achieve my goals for years. Until recently, I decided to go back to school at age 33 to peruse my second career.
I had an amazing teacher that has honestly changed my life in a very short time and I’m so thankful. She took the time to show us how to create goals and follow through to the end. So since it has helped me tremendously I would love to share with you.
First things first. “A goal is just a dream until you write it down”.
I suggest getting a journal or just something for you to write down your goals and action plan.
We were asked to come up with different goal categories. This is what we came up with.
Now “brainstorm” and write down what your goals are for each category.
After you do that pick one or two goals to focus on at a time.
Now for each goal you need to answer these questions.
1) What is the exact goal I will accomplish?
2) How will I achieve this goal, what steps Will I take to achieve it?
3) Is achieving this goal realistic with effort and commitment? Do I have the resources to achieve the goal? If not how will I get them?
4) why is this goal significant to my life and how will I reward myself after I accomplish it?
5) The benefits of achieving this goal are?
6) what are potential obstacles that I may face while trying to achieve my goals and potential solutions for those obstacles.
7) Who are the people I can ask to help me?
Now you need to come up with steps to achieve your goal and make sure to write them down. the best way to do this is to break it down into smaller goals and figure out how to achieve those small goals first. For each of those smaller goals you will give yourself an expected completion date and you want to give yourself a completion date for the total process of achieving the goal.
Remember you can always go back and change things. Nothing is set in stone.
I hope this will help you even a little bit.
The best advice I can give you is dont try to change or work on too many things at once. That is when our minds get overwhelmed and we don’t know where to start or how to get anything done and in the end actually end up doing absolutely nothing.
Good Luck to you!!
Let me know what you think of this idea and if you have any questions let me know!