Reply To: Student with ADHD given award for ‘Most Likely to Not Pay Attention"

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Student with ADHD given award for ‘Most Likely to Not Pay Attention" Reply To: Student with ADHD given award for ‘Most Likely to Not Pay Attention"

sidneymccartin
Participant

My six-year-old son has ADHD. His teacher was admonishing the class by verbally calling out, saying “Billy” (not his real name) received a stick” for such & such bad behavior. Only the negative behaviors are called out. Each child has to go out and get his or her stick (in front of the whole class) and put it in a pocket which has their name in it. If they get three sticks in one day you get a yellow note sent home, four sticks in a day & they go to the principals office. I’ve asked several kids including my two in her class, and they all have the same response. They tell me how embarrassing it is! She’s even given sticks for kids who cry in class. Apparently, “kindergartners don’t cry.”

I had a meeting with the principal and teacher and insisted the sticks stop from my child with ADHD. I had to tell them the psychiatrist said so! The teacher was very angry but agreed because the principal insisted. The following day he came home all excited and said, “Mommy, Mommy, you’ll never guess what happened in school today! I didn’t get a stick!! Now, Henry’s the bad boy.” So all along he was feeling like the “bad boy”. Poor Henry.

Worst part is, she is touted for being an amazing teacher because she does do some extra special things like a Mother’s Day Tea, A graduation ceremony inclusive of capping down etc. I find it really sad that neither she nor the principal were interested in learning more about ADHD. I don’t expect them to be experts. But, I’m becoming one. I shared several emails with them containing research I felt was worth sharing. I was asked not to send anymore – – that they were too busy and got too many emails already! Crazy, right?! Embarrassing or shaming is never OK.