Reply To: Newly Diagnosed-Question about a Comment from Testing

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Newly Diagnosed-Question about a Comment from Testing Reply To: Newly Diagnosed-Question about a Comment from Testing

Pump2Duncan
Participant

I’m a Mom of a child with ADHD and I can completely relate to your doctors brilliant comment. Once we got the dosage right on his medication, it was like something just clicked for him academically. He went from being FAR behind his peers and grade level for years to making huge gains. In a month, he would gain 6 months of reading ability. He went from 4 years behind in reading and every teacher knowing that he’d fail the state mandated reading test to PASSING it in 4 months. Now he smashes every academic goal they set for him, this year gaining an additional 2 years of reading knowledge in 1 school year and he’s now considered advanced in both math and reading and he’s at the top of his class for engineering and math.

He still struggles in social and organization aspects, but it’s like the medication let his brilliance shine through. I think your doctor’s analogy of the car with the flat wheels was spot on.