Reply To: Up and down. All over the place.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Up and down. All over the place. Reply To: Up and down. All over the place.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I have lots of insights to share on emotions and anger and ADHD. But, first, I want to mention a little-known drug interaction between Prozac/ Paxil and Amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…). Dr. Charles Parker has talked about this many times, here’s his video on the subject: http://www.corepsych.com/2012/09/adhd-insights-prozac-paxil-ampehtamines/.

Poor emotional awareness and regulation are very common with ADHD. Age 9 is about when my son finally started having some self-awareness, so that we could work on emotional regulation (and other self-regulation strategies), so your daughter is at about the right age to start addressing this with success. I love the program, The Zones of Regulation, that our OT introduced us to. It offers great visuals to label emotions and feelings, and then strategies to move into more appropriate/comfortable zones.

Chill Skills: Calming My Emotional Child with ADHD

Here’s more on the emotional component to ADHD, and how to positively affect this behavior:

Take A Deep Breath: Teaching Kids to Control Emotions

7 Emotions That Knock Us Off Our Feet

Your Emotional Riot — Or Why ADHD Makes You Feel So Much

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism