Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating? Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

Suzy
Participant

Thank you for your kind words. Please keep in mind that I’m not a professional counselor and my comments were simply from my perspective of having ADHD and being in a family of 7 kids who also have some form of it.

As for your husband’s drinking, there is no middle ground. He needs to quit. He can’t have an occasional drink because a drink or two turns in to many more. However, he has to want to quit.

My suggestion to you is is to go to an Al Anon meeting. It’s meant for people who are close to someone with a substance abuse issue (alcohol too) and helps you understand the disease and it helps to talk with others in the same boat. Here’s a national directory of meeting places: http://al-anon.org/find-a-meeting

Please feel free to send me an email if you need someone to talk to. (Suzanne.Meyers87@gmail.com)