Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating? Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

lornagillians
Participant

PS – My ex-husband (74) has, I believe, Aspergers Syndrome, difficult to live with, and my middle daughter (36) seems to have it, too. Although she gets very, very angry, is over-sensitive to any sort of criticism and gets very anxious. Maybe she has ADHD, too? But she is not disorganized, and is good with money. She is a high-flying lawyer and under a lot of stress at work. She is not speaking to me now (for over 18 months) because I suggested that she may be like her father, with the Aspergers. My eldest daughter, who is 42, also has mental health problems. Since the birth of her children, she is very unstable mentally. She was diagnosed as Bi-Polar, but refused medication. She, also is not speaking to me now. She gets very angry, anxious and defensive. She is an Architect. Her husband seems to be on the Autism spectrum, too – he is very controlling and uncommunicative. He was a Naval Officer at sea, now taken a shore job. All this is very trying, but at least I can relate to others’ problems. The only “normal” one is my youngest daughter (33) who is a teacher. But she, too, gets very anxious and over-wrought. Their Grandmother on their father’s side was a very difficult woman, and her father committed suicide, many years ago – although it may have been due to the effects of the war. It seems to run in families. Lorna