Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating? Reply To: how do I talk to my undiagnosed husband about his self medicating?

magicleap
Participant

Sorry – I typed that on my phone, and as I re-read it, I make it sound like his substance usage leads me to believe he has ADHD. His quirks lead me to believe he has ADHD, and that he is using multiple substances to cope/function. He is the inattentive type – he can walk in the house and not acknowledge me, though he’ll acknowledge the dog and over acknowledge our child – but he might just assume I’m in the house, never to check or say “Hello.” He is forgetful, he dislikes specific tasks such as anything requiring talking on the phone or making appointments. He’s definitely a procrastinator. He is constantly “taking breaks,” or running off to the home improvement store. He’s got various hobbies he likes to put a lot of focus on, and often loses track of time. He doesn’t like to read books, only short articles, reading books seem to take too much time, perhaps? Traveling seems to give him anxiety even though he seems to enjoy it, but not, but does … He has difficulty seeing things from someone else’s perspective, mis-remembers conversations/events, and misinterprets someone’s thoughts/feelings – often stating something like “All of this drama just because I ____” as if to trivialize the other person’s thoughts/feelings, this is especially the case if thoughts/feelings involve “him making the person feel” a certain way – he won’t take any responsibility for causing a situation.

Anyway, all of that leads me to believe he has undiagnosed ADHD, and that he’s been using various substances to help him function. Have others been through this, substance usage “merry-go-round?”