Reply To: School wanting to drop IEP, meeting tomorow

Pump2Duncan
Participant

Part of the IDEA and the IEP is to maximize the student’s potential, not to merely get them to grade level. So perhaps your daughter is at grade level now, but with proper services through the IEP, your student’s “potential” may actually be a grade-level above her current grade level.

We just had our annual IEP at the beginning of the week. My son tested at or above grade level in every subject. His new goals raise those levels. For example, he’s currently at just about a 7th grade reading level (he is in 5th grade) – hiss new goal is to be at an 8th grade level by March 2018. Math was the same way. Because my son’s potential with proper supports through the IEP is not merely an ‘A’ on the report card but to be above-grade level. When we started the IEP he was 3 grades behind in every subject.

This was also the first year we worked with the Dean at my son’s new school. She made a couple terrific observations about how his IEP was previously written. 1) Not ALL diagnosis were listed, only Specific Learning Disability was put in (which she said limited the IEP); she added his anxiety disorder and his ADHD (he now qualifies for the IEP under the SLD (specific learning disability); Emotional Disturbance (anxiety disorder); and Other Health Impairment (ADHD); and 2) the “Parent Concerns” section includes concerns, observations, suggestions, basically anything a parent wants to say – not just “concerns”. So if you’re noticing increased anxiety, make sure they put it in the IEP.

Hope the meeting went well! I know it can be a frustrating process.