Reply To: Relationship breakdown

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Relationship breakdown Reply To: Relationship breakdown

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Your untreated ADHD symptoms probably make your partner feel like she’s loosing her grip on her own ADHD symptoms, and that can be frightening. The good news is that you are working to get a diagnosis and treatment, and, if anyone can understand that a lot of your behavior is outside your control, it is her.

I would keep in contact if you can and update her on your progress. “Hey, I got diagnosed with ADHD today and I start medication tomorrow.” Etc… Hopefully, as you focus on taking care of yourself, she will see that it can get better and give the relationship another try. You really do have to do what’s best for you first and foremost.

Here’s some information on diagnosis and treatment, so you will know what to expect. No, ADHD medication doesn’t treat emotionality directly, but it can improve emotions when symptoms are treated and life is going better.

https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/

Your Ultimate ADHD Diagnosis Guide

10 Ways to Save Your Relationship

Penny
ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism