Reply To: I need medication advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD I need medication advice Reply To: I need medication advice

romanjade
Participant

I’m really sorry to hear about your situation. That’s a huge upset of long standing routine. Ug.
I was recently diagnosed ADD and put on Adderall. Not sure that it’s quite the right med for me & have done a lot of research lately. I have started taking L-Tyrosine 500mg 2-3x/day (on an empty stomach)as a substitute stimulant. I found it at the health store, near the protein powders; it’s also one of the ingredients in my favorite convenience store booster, 5 Hr Energy. In fact, I’d skip the coffee or soda if I were you, too much of a peak and crash for 3 hours left to work; the 5 Hr Energy drink would be better in a pinch.
Also- another thing that makes a huge difference for me- I take an extended release B12 supplement before bed. It’s an energy booster that doesn’t keep me awake but makes the mornings tolerable; that way, I can wait til after breakfast to have my first dose rather than before getting out bed.
Check out the Amen Clinic 7 types of ADD, there is an article on this site that gives a list of supplement stimulants. And this article suggests Rodiola for a stimulant.

10 Foods (and Vitamins and Supplements!) to Boost Your ADHD Brain