Reply To: Unemployed and Afraid to Find New Work

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Unemployed and Afraid to Find New Work Reply To: Unemployed and Afraid to Find New Work

Quinn
Participant

Looks like I’ll be the first “new” reply here, LOL.

I’d like to address the “find a job you love” or “find your passion” philosophy. I’ve been around a little while–I’m 47. Like many ADHD’ers, I have been through a number of jobs in my life. I recently came across a quote from Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs. A fan had written to him about how to find the “right” job for him. Mike’s reply was spot on, in my view. You can find the fan’s question, and Mike’s response HERE.

The meat of Mike Rowe’s advice is found in the last couple paragraphs of his response, starting with the words, “Stop looking for the ‘right’ career”.

I found truth in Mike’s words, long before I was aware of the above quote. At the same time, I also agree with those who say you should do what you can to find work that plays to as many of your strengths as possible–at least so you don’t HATE the job. If you can TOLERATE the job, then it’ll give you a paycheck while you work on yourself and figure out what your next step should be. That is what I’m doing right now. I sort of fell into my current job as a pest control professional, or PCP (called an “exterminator” in many places). I worked there for 7 years–the longest I’ve ever held a job. I left in 2013 for a few years to try my hand at being a real estate agent, which for a number of reasons did not work out (some of those reasons are related to my ADHD). I returned to pest control (same company I worked for previously) in December of 2016. I came to the realization that this particular job fits a number of my strengths and avoids some of my ADHD weaknesses. There are things I don’t like about my job, for sure. But I’m following Mike Rowe’s advice about becoming indispensable to the owner and I’m working on learning all the things I need to learn in order to either start my own pest control company in the future, or go to work for a different company as a manager.

Anyway, I hope I’ve been helpful.
~Quinn

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Quinn.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Penny Williams.