Reply To: ADHD and Major Depression

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults ADHD and Major Depression Reply To: ADHD and Major Depression

Kevin Ju
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user MoonlightDragonfly in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi Sarafina

I remember all too well what it felt like to have ADHD and be a teenager. I would cry at some moments and then be really happy and exuberant at other times. I often felt misunderstood and, at times, angry.
To be frank, some of what your going through may be related to hormones. Our bodies go through alot of changes in our teenage years. Ironically, I am struggling with hormones now as I head into menopause (I’m 45 years old). It is a frustrating process.
My biggest piece of advice is to take a deep breath and take your day one hour at a time, heck sometimes even one breath at a time. Life can be really overwhelming and when we let our thoughts and feelings run rampant (as we ADHD folks are so prone to do) we can lose perspective. At night, it can help to tell yourself that you will address an issue in the morning and redirect yourself to focusing on just breathing and resting in the current moment.
With regards to your best friend, she’s been loyal to you so far and that is a great blessing. Make sure to tell her how much you appreciate her kindness, compassion, and support. If you get angry, apologize. If you’ve gotten angry and regret it, think about what you can do next time to handle things more appropriately.
Most of all, be gentle and kind to yourself. I think it is great that you are here and reaching out for support and advice. You are wise to do so.