Reply To: Teen with ADHD, anxiety, ODD

Kevin Ju
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user keksa23 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi serenitynow,
I just wanted to offer you a hug here as I can’t offer much else at this point. I’m a “new” ADHD parent – recently had my almost 10 year old officially diagnosed with ADHD (and possibly one or two other things, but he was diagnosed by a doctor with absolutely no bedside manner or ear at all so I have to find the time, amongst my other 100+ things to do between work and home, to get a second opinion), so I feel like my experience is very minimal at this point even though I read up on ADHD every single day and am at times overwhelmed at all the “possible” remedies (e.g., magnesium, zinc, behavior therapy, etc.)

Still getting my head wrapped around everything while trying to juggle teacher’s complaints, child’s inability to complete even one task at home (I get home at 7 PM only to find no homework has been done during the three hours my husband has been home), and of course a husband who just doesn’t seem to get it. I bet this sounds all too familiar to you, so just wanted to offer a mom-to-mom hug and tell you to hang in there. At times, I’ll ride the bus with my sunglasses on just to fight back tears from all the angst I go through every day, alone, because my husband too does not seem to help. But thankfully I think God gives us moms another “wind” to help us pull through another day for our kids.

It’s easy for folks to say “your husband should be helping”, but only those who go through it know exactly how impossible that is.

Please remember to breath sometimes and give yourself a pat on the back.

XOXO!