Reply To: Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication Reply To: Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Mitzi McPike in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Colby,

Congratulations on making the decision to take medication.

One rule of thumb is if the medication improves your symptoms and you feel better you are on the right track.

When I was diagnosed 5 years ago, my PCP prescribed Ritalin and within the first 15 minutes of taking it, I felt better. I felt a sense of inner calmness that I had never felt before. Finally I understood why I lived my life like a Bugs Bunny cartoon character (Tazmanian Devil).

I finally understood that I was powerless over the way my brain worked. It was stuck in overdrive and I just raced through my life. The right medication allowed me to feel more grounded and centered in my body which reflected in me feeling more empowered in my life.

Only you can decide what is right for you. You do deserve to feel a sense of “normalcy” and the right medication could do that for you.

Good luck with your Adderall. Just remember you may need to raise the dosage to get the therapeutic results you need. I had to raise my Ritalin after a few weeks.

And if you feel after a period of time that it isn’t giving you true relief from symptoms, please be open to trying something else.

You and I both know how exhausting it is to try to be “normal” with ADHD.

The right medication is a great helping hand to live your life the way you want to.

P.S. Both Adderall and Ritalin are stimulants. If you are racing on the inside either will most likely calm you down. I never had to worry about becoming “addicted” — I took my daily doses and lived my life. People don’t understand that stimulants have the opposite effect on someone with ADHD.

Good luck! 🌺
Mitzi