Reply To: Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication Reply To: Guilt for treating my ADHD with medication

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user whizinc in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I’m hoping you can talk to your husband again and get his support. You’re trying something new to gain control of the ADHD symptoms and how they affect your life. This is not a forever choice. Try the meds for the 30 days. Ask your husband to notice whether he thinks they are helping. At the end of the month, discuss what you liked and didn’t like. Many people, with their doctor, have to figure out what is the right dose, the best time to take the meds, and which med works best. I am an older working mom. I’ve been taking 10 mg of Methylphenidate twice a day for nearly 7 years. It doesn’t fix anything, but it does help with focus and concentration. I do feel like my body chemistry is off if I forget my meds for a day. But I just take them the next day and it’s ok. Please do not feel guilty. You are taking steps to be a better Mom, wife and worker. That is an admirable thing. I hope your husband and Mom can get to the point where they understand that. As for the weight loss…I wish… =)