Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost. Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Therightone in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

My son’s personality hasn’t changed, he is just more able to control his impulses. His father was reluctant to medicate, I was less reluctant because I have taken antidepressants for years. They allow me to function. My personality is no different.

Some medications won’t work. Some might, but the side effects outweigh the benefits. Just be aware of the side effects, and look for those and any other changes in personality, behavior, or health that are undesirable. There are a lot of options, so don’t be discouraged if one or two or seven don’t work. But a psychiatrist will guide you. Don’t be afraid to switch psychiatrists if you don’t like the one you have. Most of all, you want one that encourages you to communicate with them.