Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost. Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user brlk13 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hang in there — it’s not easy. Finding the right medication can be a long process. If a medication changes your son’s personality, it’s not the right one. Remember, if you don’t like what you see happening with the medication you can always stop. The only way to know if meds will help is to try them. My son was diagnosed in kindergarten, started the journey with meds in 1st grade. Lots of meds tried, many either didn’t work or caused side effects that we didn’t like, but we did finally find a combination that works for him. He’s in 5th grade now and the meds allow him to be redirected, to focus and to maintain acceptable behavior in the classroom, but they do not change his personality. Finding the right doctor who will work closely with you is important and that’s typically going to be a child psychiatrist. We’ve had two great pediatricians but they did not have the detailed knowledge needed to treat ADHD. A psychologist can help with diagnosis and therapy but they can’t prescribe meds. Best of luck to you and know that it’s not an easy journey but many of us have been there and you’re not alone.