Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost. Reply To: My 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed. I feel lost.

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Motherofkings in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Sending you prayers. Remember that medication will not solve the problem but for some people it has made a big difference.

It is a very scary journey, but things will get so much easier. I had the same feeling with both of my boys. One is 13 and the other is 8. My 8-year-old is taking medication but my oldest one will not. I was so afraid that he will lose his personality when he took his medication. He is still himself he is just able to focus better. Remember you are in control if you want him to take medications or not. The doctors cannot force you to do anything. My son is still struggling in school but we are working on coping skills with his therapist and the school incorporated some stuff in his IEP. Don’t give up. You are his biggest fan and his biggest advocate.