Reply To: Son, Sophomore in High School

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user biomom in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I too have a 15-year-old son with severe ADHD. He’s a sophomore in high school and very intelligent (I know, we all say that about our kids, but he really is smart!); however, he does poorly in most of his classes. Sometimes he refuses to do his homework and other times he just has trouble keeping track of what he’s supposed to be doing in school. I also have a 17-year-old son who’s a senior in high school and has relatively mild ADD. Like hockeydad, I’ve been very concerned about my kids’ futures in college. My husband and I are both university professors with Ph.D.s, so of course we place a very high premium on higher education and always expected our kids to attend good colleges.

Both of my sons have decided that they want to go to 2 years of community college before transferring to a 4-year college. This was initially very difficult for me to accept, and I still struggle with it at times. It’s become very clear, though, that it’s the right path for both of them, for several reasons. So, I’m learning that I have to stop projecting onto them my own expectations and hopes for their futures and let them find their own way. It’s tough for me but, I’m convinced, the right thing for them.