Reply To: Do we explain ADHD to our 17 year old son?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Do we explain ADHD to our 17 year old son? Reply To: Do we explain ADHD to our 17 year old son?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user SallyBee in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I live in a small town in South Africa, there is not much in the way of support here so no support groups…I’ve looked!

We’ll work with his psychologist and try get together as a team, him, my hubby, my daughter and I and work out a parenting plan of sorts.

I have something to go on now and I’m almost looking forward to a new challenge. As mentioned, it’s almost a relief to have a diagnosis of something that is genuinely wrong that has solutions, albeit a lot of hard work…there are answers…thank goodness!

He goes to his mum for the school holidays on Friday and is only back with us again in two weeks….so we’ll leave it all until he gets back.

(I’m convinced his mum is ADHD with ODD or something along those lines too….so a bit concerned about his behaviour when he gets home as that’s also always been a huge adjustment for all of us)

Thank you for the advice on reading material too….I’ve just ordered “The Defiant Child” from Amazon and I’m waiting for that to arrive. Any opinions on the techniques in that book?