Reply To: I’m trying but I’m done.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD I’m trying but I’m done. Reply To: I’m trying but I’m done.

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Stacey Martin in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I want to commend you for taking the step to help your child. I’ve been where you are and let me tell you yes there were countless days of frustrations. You may not feel like you are helping him but you are. Being a parent of a child with ADHD isn’t easy however, it never by any means means you are NOT a “good” parent. Most importantly you have to take care of yourself! It’s important to recognize what your needs are and what makes you happy. Children with ADHD often react from us and our feelings. Children with ADHD drive off constant praise and engaging in activities that they take interest in. Although it may be easy to send him to his room, he may be getting use to this becoming his daily routine and not feel the need to make changes in order for him to come out of his room.

What are his interest? What makes him smile? How does he respond to praise ex. I’m so proud of you”.
Finding the small things that encourage him and at the same time help you is a win win situation.

A small tip, when my son was diagnosed 15 years ago I became his advocate. It became frustrating hearing countless negative comments however I knew my son was bigger and better than what others perceived him to be. Ask him if what he is interested in. Keeping him active is a must. Start with ( if he’s not already participating) enrolling him in an activity he likes and wants to do.

It does get better trust me however it is work as is anything in life. It gets better. My son is now 21 and on a full scholarship at the University of South Florida. I hope this helps my dear.

Remember keep pushing, keep believing and never give up!