Reply To: School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning 504 Plans, IEPs & Accommodations School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements Reply To: School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi spazzyjanet!

I think time will tell. The good news is that he’s doing much better in school now that he’s taking medication. An improvement that big doesn’t happen for many.

The fact that the school is willing to give him accommodations is good news as well, especially seeing that he tested well.

I totally agree with you that one-on-one testing in a quiet and controlled environment doesn’t equate to achievement potential in the everyday classroom, but that is still the measure used. My son is also gifted, tests pretty well on eval tests, but barely gets by in school, despite an IEP and special help.

Intelligence is not the sole measure of capability. Few teachers and school administrators recognize that. I have been fighting it for years. I feel like being twice exceptional is worse than having ADHD/LDs and average intelligence, because far more is expected of 2e kids than they have the capability of meeting. It’s really hard: https://www.additudemag.com/adhdblogs/11/8613.html

My son’s school (middle, 7th and 8th grades) agreed that my son could be in inclusion classes to get the extra help, despite a high IQ, and that he could participate in the weekly gifted pullout, despite being the only SPED kid to get any gifted instruction. That was last year, but the gifted pullout was during something he really enjoyed, so he dropped out of the pullout. It’s a shame most mainstream schools don’t support 2 e kids—they will support the special needs or the gifted IQ, but not both. 🙁

I say, while he’s doing well, keep with the flow. If he begins to struggle at school again, request another evaluation. My son was denied IEP and SPED in 1st grade, despite dysgraphia being very apparent. When the gap widened between his capability and expectations more by 3rd grade, I requested a new evaluation and he got SPED and an IEP that time. Since then, he’s been additionally diagnosed with autism and significant executive function deficits. He needed SPED 1,000%, but it wasn’t apparent enough until school expectations grew and his skills and achievement didn’t.

Penny
ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism