Reply To: School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning 504 Plans, IEPs & Accommodations School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements Reply To: School Evaluation Starting Right After Medication Improvements

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user spazzyjanet in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

So the good news is that it looks like they will grant a 504, even though they are going the “no visual sign of an impairment” route.

His W-J achievement tests are now in the average range, and his teacher is reporting pretty much NO signs at all of executive functioning impairment in the classroom. He also jumped two reading levels shortly after starting meds.

His updated composite IQ score went up as well. He now qualifies as “gifted.” His visual/spatial and verbal, etc. were high before but his low working memory pulled him down. When that went up the composite went up.

My concern now is that even though the school is satisfied, there is still quite a gap between his achievement and capabilities. I am concerned that his high intelligence may be masking his difficulties resulting in an “averaging out” that will end up disqualifying him for both special ed AND gifted services.

What is your experience? Can I expect that his achievements will continue to climb without any academic supports in the class or an IEP? If he continues to hover around average and cannot get access to gifted is it possible to re-evaluate whether an IEP might be needed down the line?