Reply To: Recently diagnosed and feeling stigmatized

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Recently diagnosed and feeling stigmatized Reply To: Recently diagnosed and feeling stigmatized

Kevin Ju
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Mitzi McPike in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Kayla,

I want to congratulate you on your diagnosis. I understand feeling overjoyed to finally have a better understanding of why you are the way you are. I also understand feeling very alone and unsupported by family.

When I was diagnosed, no one in my family supported me. I was shunned by some, ignored and made to feel invisible by others. My brother and one sister was downright hostile. I was definitely hurt. But with medication and other treatment, I felt better and I found support through friends and this site.

One thing I definitely learned is just how much ADHD is misunderstood and some people actually believe it doesn’t exist or is something people can just control or get over it.

Also once I truly understood ADHD and the extensive symptomology at both ends of the spectrum i.e. Inattentive to Hyperactive/Impulsivity, I started looking more closely at my own family. ADHD runs in both sides of my family. All my siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., are affected by this to some degree.

Sadly some people think if they admit they have this condition they are weak. It simply isn’t true. An imbalanced brain has a huge range of symptoms and everyone is affected differently.

My wish for you is that you stand proud and empower yourself by learning all you can about ADHD and find the right tools to live your life AND find your own support team. You need cheerleaders!

Here is your first one 😊

Take Care,

Mitzi