Reply To: Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior Reply To: Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user spazzyjanet in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

How old is your son? He sounds so much like my son. We got a detailed behavior intervention plan so that the teacher used specific phrases and rewards and it did help.

At least you have an IEP to support him. We were not able to get one because we began medicating and all of his behavior issues stopped. Additionally, all of his academics got a bump as well to the effect that the psychologist and teacher tell me that he is now acting effectively as a kid with no ADHD issues in the classroom when he is medicated.

Did your son take an IQ test as part of his evaluation? I ask because frustrations with practice and drill assignments like handwriting are excruciating for gifted kids and especially gifted kids with ADHD. Since all of DS’s evals began after meds, my son’s IQ came back in the gifted range and this started to explain a lot of his behaviors as well.