Reply To: Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior Reply To: Consequences for Unsafe School Behavior

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Motherofkings in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

So the IEP went into effect the beginning of this month. We worked a behavior plan in there as well. We set it up that be has a break card that he can show the teacher when he feels he needs a break, before specials (Art, Music, PE, Library) he goes to the resource teacher and comes up with a reward for that day to help him get through the special. So far I haven’t seen much progress yet but it is still the beginning. I have been working with him on coping skills and practicing them with him. Ex: calm breathing, muscle tension relaxation, and we have been role playing. I have him repeat everything back to me so I know he is getting it also. I even did it this morning in the car before he went to school. He called me at 11:30 AM to let me know he was using his coping skill and was doing good and I praised him and it was great. 1:44 PM came and he was struggling again and needed to be removed because he started to knock over the tables. (Sigh) I am so sad for my baby. I tried to encourage him to use his words and use “I” statements so the teacher and I can understand when he is upset, frustrated, sad, mad, scared but he was already at his limit and was not having it. It hurts my heart and the school calls me for EVERYTHING. (SIGH)