Reply To: When I can’t stand anyone at work, am I the problem?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships When I can’t stand anyone at work, am I the problem? Reply To: When I can’t stand anyone at work, am I the problem?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Bob from Cootamundra in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I get into this situation every so often, and I thought it was because the others at work were jerks. Often they are.
Fitting into a false social situation of the boss is always right, and the oldest staff know more, and so on is something I rejected at about age 10.

I get on with my work, and that is rarely criticized badly. People just don’t like my attitude of treating everyone as an equal, speaking up when there is a problem, and actually following the guidelines that the workplace sets!

Other people know how to fit into the social hierarchy – also known as conforming to social expectations – even though it makes no sense, and often breaks the local guidelines

When I have a good manager, we all have a great time and I produce wonders. Maybe not wonders all the time, LOL, but I at least do well.

My defence against this type of bad work place is to assess my work objectively, and not rely on “what other people think” as that will never work. Even the best workplaces have a few negative people, and even the best and brightest staff have negative comments spoken about them.

It does become a problem when the boss fires you for silly reasons. That is difficult, so I just move on.
Rant over