Reply To: Small Business and Structure

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Small Business and Structure Reply To: Small Business and Structure

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user najn in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi Luckygirl!

I used to own a business where I wore all the hats in the beginning but I had the same problem with all the paperwork and administrative tasks that needed to be done. I hired an assistant and gave her all the tasks that she could do based on her skills.

She turned out to be better at errands than anything else, and there were lots of errands, so that was taken care of. Next I had to hire someone to help me do all the accounting and so on until I was able to actually focus in what I had to do.

What I learned from the experience is that I could either run the business or do the creative stuff but not both.

Later on I had another business where I only had to run the business and I wasn’t involved in the production. That was the best way to work for me. I could explain my idea to the production person and let them work and encourage them to be creative. We did great things.