Reply To: Small Business and Structure

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Small Business and Structure Reply To: Small Business and Structure

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ADD_Coach_Lynne in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I hope it helps, LuckyGirl, to hear you’re not alone! Adults with ADHD are something like 300% more likely to own their own business than the rest of the population. We are naturally great idea generators, risk-takers and entrepreneurs, but generally not naturally so great at the administrative and structure-related (more boring) stuff.

But that’s actually good news! You can learn that administrative and structure – related stuff, but it’s hard to teach someone to be a great idea-generator and risk-taker. As a woman with ADD myself, an entrepreneur, and an ADHD Coach, that’s my personal and professional opinion!

That entrepreneurial spirit is one of the up-sides to having ADHD. The trick to harnessing it is to learn how to do the things you need to do in your way—not necessarily the way they’re typically done. You may really benefit from working with an ADHD Coach.

ADHD Coaches help clients develop and implement individualized systems, processes, tools and structures that will work with their ADHD tendencies, their individual strengths, and how they process information. Most also provide a source of support and accountability for clients to help them keep them moving and progressing in between coaching sessions. I have worked with hundreds of clients in a wide variety of professions from all over the world (from doctors to teachers to artists to entrepreneurs) to help them be more successful at work and at home. We typically work on setting up appropriate structure and systems at home and at work so that they can keep track of and get done what they need to do, get and stay organized, use and manage time more effectively, and improve their punctuality.

You can learn more about coaching from ADDitude’s website. The ADHD Coaches Organization (http://www.ADHDCoaches.org) is our professional association that requires member coaches to provide proof of appropriate training to be listed in their directory, which you can search by specialty. Most of us work with clients from all over the world via the phone, Skype, etc. so you can find a coach that you click with, and you’re not limited to finding someone in your town. Most coaches will offer a complementary phone or Skype consultation so that you can get an idea for their style and how they work.

I hope you find something in here that helps! You don’t need to give up your dream of owning your own business, and I promise it can get easier.

Best of luck!

Lynne Edris, ACG
Life & ADHD Coach
http://www.CoachingADDvantages.com