Reply To: Do I tell my supervisor about my ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Do I tell my supervisor about my ADHD? Reply To: Do I tell my supervisor about my ADHD?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Twinkle Toes in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hey PurpleCat –

I could have written your post. I was a struggling Project Manager. If only I had known then what I know now!

I’ve learned to use some GREAT time management tools that would have helped me. You need to get a system in place that works for you. Sounds like you are already on the road to that.

The first and most helpful thing for me was to admit to myself and then later to the workplace and the world that I was an “odd duck.” I did things differently than others to support my brain and put out quality work. Once I stopped hiding my odd ways I was able to embrace them more. When people laughed at me, I laughed with them. It felt so good to finally be accepted. And by that I mean accepted by ME, not necessarily by anyone else. They all still think I am strange, slow, even inept at times, but I know that I am doing my best and enjoy being me. I now work with my strengths, rather than trying to hide my weaknesses.

Ultimately I did disclose my ADD and am in the process of seeking accommodations. There are many details that lead to that decision for me. I hope that you will be able to make the best decision for yourself.