Reply To: I’m Feeling Ignored

Hope @ ADDitude
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user nexus7722 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi there, I’ve been married to a man with ADHD for about two years. We’d known one another for years prior but only found out about the ADHD a year or so back.

I won’t lie to you: the symptoms you mention do not get better. I experienced the same exact thing. What has gotten better, though, is how I view it.

My husband has my back. He loves me immensely. He wants to get better. Now for the bad: nearly zero sex life (it’s just not on his radar except for once every few months). Date nights happen weekly, but he’s just as likely to hyper focus on another guy at the bar and talk sports or geology all night with someone else on our date (that happened just last week).

I’d by lying if I said it didn’t make me sad. Or that I didn’t wish for someone without this condition. But in some ways, my husband is a unicorn. He’s brilliant. Seriously brilliant. Funny, if you don’t mind puns. And is always willing to work on things. That last one is the clincher.

Best of luck. And hugs. Be sure to take care of yourself whatever happens. This condition is so hard on the partners.