Reply To: I work really hard, love my career, but keep getting fired

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships I work really hard, love my career, but keep getting fired Reply To: I work really hard, love my career, but keep getting fired

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ARC in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I am sorry that you are in this predicament but you are not alone. My learning to manage my ADHD meant understanding certain things about myself:

1. People see me as strong- sometimes too strong

2. I have a habit of saying things that I regret later (although at times a peer enlightens me because I did not even realize what I said was perceived wrong.

3. I seek very regular feedback from my superiors because I absolutely do NOT see through the same lens that they do.

4. I get caught up in tasks that (with my dislike of details) are EXTREMELY difficult, and never will be my best work.

But do not dismay, my answer may be yours as well, and that is to FIND WHAT YOU LOVE and work towards getting there. Those with ADHD are blessed with hyper focus when we are doing what we love. For me it is public speaking and I could not be happier. So what is it for you? You could spend the rest of your career trying to understand what is wrong, but I suggest you begin searching and doing what you love, and you will soon see how successful you can be. Bless you and best of luck.
– ARC