Reply To: The meds are working at school, but home is difficult

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline The meds are working at school, but home is difficult Reply To: The meds are working at school, but home is difficult

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user keeks in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Also recommend The Explosive Child. Great ideas for effective discipline for our kids. I remember that age and it was exhausting, so I think his age is a big factor. Be consistent with your responses and help him understand that ADHD doesn’t mean he can say whatever he wants or throw things etc! It means he (and you) have to work harder than other children (and parents), to learn and teach him how to master more acceptable behaviors. But the good news is that with your help, he will! I always felt that I got more of the difficult behavior than my husband did and apparently this is a common theme in marriages (according to my son’s psychologist). Perhaps it is because we are with them more than some husbands are, especially during homework time. It was hard at times not to take my son’s behavior personally but I have learned not to, over the years. Now, thankfully, his behavior isn’t an issue anymore. At 17, he has learned how to control a lot of the stuff he struggled with. Hang in there, it gets easier!