Reply To: Anger and ADHD: Help!

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ThirdGen in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I can’t speak to medication issues, they seem to be so different for everyone, but I do think educational and psychological testing may be of good use if you haven’t done that already. There may be an LD or processing issue that’s not immediately obvious that’s causing some of his frustration.

That said, I have always had a quick temper, or so I thought. What I have come to understand is even if my meds are right — I still need to have good rest, break up my meals (especially around 3 p.m. I’m going to need a snack) so my blood sugar doesn’t dip too dramatically, and learn to pay attention to that thing that I feel when I’m getting angry so I can get up and go to the bathroom, walk outside, whatever it is that will break the beginnings of a bad thing.

Your child is young, but DBT and mindfulness training are appropriate skills to begin to learn at his age so he can learn some self care and self-moderating skills. It’s not a cure-all, but beginning to learn these kinds of skills before becoming a teenager is a very helpful thing.