Reply To: Anger and ADHD: Help!

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user brlk13 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

For what it’s worth, I was also told at one point that Prozac and stimulants were not a good combination. We tried Prozac briefly — my son also has generalized anxiety — but it had some negative side effects. He has taken a combo of Zoloft/Vyvanse/Straterra for almost 3 years successfully. We tried just about everything and every combo out there before finding the right mix. Every kid is so different and it really can take a long time and a lot of patience to find a solution. Second and third grade seemed to be the toughest years so far. I don’t know if it was the med trials, the teachers, the increased schoolwork demands, immaturity or a combination of these. For my son, his emotions run so high that what seems like a small issue to most can trigger a big emotional response. He’s getting better at controlling his emotions but I personally believe that’s due to maturity and some work done with OT and therapists at his school, not medication. Hang in there!