Reply To: What organization plan has worked for your child at school?

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Stallar in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Ok, Penny. Check the IEP and ensure that it’s in there. This is a LEGALLY BINDING DOCUMENT (not yelling) and must be followed. I’m sure you’ve used this term already, but continue to use it.

Next, contact your local advocacy institution which is a free service (get a tiger) and call for a meeting. The school cannot deny you. Bring the advocate to the meeting. Schools hate that. They need to hear someone else’s voice. Choose your biggest issue and focus on that one.

If the avoidance continues, contact your state education department. Do not worry about repercussions; there will be none. In 30 years, I have never seen it taken out on the child.

Finally, check out wrightslaw.com if you haven’t already. It’s a fine resource for parents.

It is always better to be in collegiate standing with your child’s school. However, if you have tried that approach and to no avail, you must bring in the heavy artillery. Schools hate due process, but sometimes it must be done. As I tell my parents here in NY, “We have your child for 12 years; you have them for a lifetime.”

Keep us posted and good luck.
Stallar