Reply To: What organization plan has worked for your child at school?

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user momodoodle in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Well, I would give any teacher who isn’t helpful a packet of information on what ADHD is, how it effects the brain and the kinds of things that work with kids with ADHD. I’d be pleasant about it as I handed it over.

I suspect the teachers are trying to get him ready for high school. Unfortunately, what normal kids need to be ready and what our kids need to be ready are different. Maybe you can address them from that point, as in, “I appreciate you trying to help him fly from the nest in prep for h.s., but at this point he’s just falling to the ground.”

I can’t get teachers to remind my daughter either. When things are due, turning in assignments…its usually a mess. She has a calendar that she is supposed to be using — I spent $40 on getting it personalized as motivation to use it! — but she says she never has time.

Maybe there’s a student who your child knows in different classes who can help? I’ve been thinking about that for my kid. It might be embarrassing for them to admit they need help, yet a good friend would be happy to make sure they have what they need.

The school MUST comply with an IEP. After a few tries to get the teachers on board, I’d call an advocate for advice. And then a lawyer.

Good luck!