Reply To: Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine? Reply To: Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Traquy in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I know each child is very different in respect to meds working or not, but if trying a non-stimulant might work then really there is nothing to lose. We got lucky and it only took 1 dosage change for my daughter to see a big change. She took the immediate release (regular) 1mg twice a day at first but it was causing her to be sleepy and irritable in the afternoons, however we saw improvement in the morning at school so after a few weeks we decided to try the time release and it’s worked like a charm. She also is hyperactive, but her biggest problem was her “fast brain” and impulse control. That is where we have seen the most improvement, in her ability to think twice about things rather than just pounce and regret it later.

It may not work, but it could be worth a try. Our generic is $26 for a 60 day supply with insurance, I am not sure what it is without insurance.