Reply To: Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine? Reply To: Fish oil capsules: Best brand? Alternative to medicine?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Traquy in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

mjsmom73, I was just wondering if you had tried a NON stimulant ADHD med? My 9 yr old daughter was so bad she was in a self contained classroom part time in 2nd and 3rd grade and was not responding to the non-medication interventions. Once I finally decided to talk to her pediatrician about medication he immediately said he would NOT give her stimulants as they would make her anxiety worse and her already small appetite worse, as well as cause more sleeping problems. We put her on a low dose (2mg) time release of Intuniv (generic Guanfacine) which is one pill in the morning and that’s it. No appetite problems, LESS anxiety, better sleep and this year as a 4th grader she is in mainstream class full time. Her teacher said she would never know my daughter was in a self contained classroom if we hadn’t told her. She does still need direction in class and has a hard time staying on task but it is SO.MUCH.BETTER. It’s really changed her life. I’m happy you are having success with your interventions, I just wanted to put it out there that there are other options to stimulants.