Reply To: Medication for women

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Medication for women Reply To: Medication for women

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Trixie46 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi there, I’m 50, diagnosed four years ago with ADHD when my son first got help and I then realized my issue all these years. I’m not an active ADDer, I was a daydreamer, totally disorganized, brain fog, depression, anxiety…the works. Initially I felt ashamed and guilty about going on medication, especially amphetamines (dextroamphetamines)…ashamed because of the stigma still attached to ADHD, and guilty because I felt I was taking the easy way out with medication. Well, that feeling soon dissipated when my life changed…I have grown in leaps! What can i say — using medication has made such a positive impact on my life. It’s true that it’s not a magic pill…I still need help with coping and organizational skills. I am working on correct eating and exercise — walking works for me and I love swimming during summer. Can’t do the gym, tooo boring. I have a break or cut down on the weekend and during holidays from my meds and I do have some good and bad days, but I’ve not regretted medicating as it helps me to keep calm, focus, study and take on management roles when required. We have to find what works for ourselves I guess, and just support each other. And just so you know, I discuss my ADHD — not looking for pity or handouts, but as a way to educate people out there because I’m not ashamed anymore — and that’s the best feeling in the world 🙂