Reply To: Now what?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user JeresMom in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

It is tough. I can’t really say at this point that we’ve been that effective. I can only speak for my own child – every kid is different. He hasn’t been officially diagnosed with odd but I can check off every box.

One thing that always sticks with me is what his doctor said about discipline – set the rules and the consequences and take the emotion out of it. I don’t want to say don’t bother with rewards systems because they probably won’t work but I found that rewards didn’t really work for my child as well as punishment – and it was exhausting to keep it going. But the punishment(consequence sounds better but let’s be real) has to mean something or it doesn’t work. For him it was usually taking something away for a short period of time.

As far as school goes – again I’m only speaking for my own child – he was never the biggest problem in class but I know he’s driven some teachers crazy. I always made sure the teacher felt comfortable calling me when needed. I think it really helps. Some teachers don’t have enough experience working with children with adhd and take things personally – that’s when things start going down hill imo. I guess I would say empathy goes a long way with teachers. I always tell my son that it is his job to figure out what the teacher wants (not that he actually does it) but hopefully one day it will sink in that he can control whether he gets along with his teachers or not.
It is tough. I can’t really say at this point that we’ve been that effective. I can only speak for my own child – every kid is different. He hasn’t been officially diagnosed with odd but I can check off every box.