Reply To: ADD + Comorbid Anxiety and Depression

Kevin Ju
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user frankiebgoode in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I’ve been struggling with a very similar situation for a long time. I only got my ADD diagnosis about a year ago, and Adderall has had limited usefulness. Before my ADD diagnosis, I was given Sertraline for depression and it… basically made me crazy, so I’m not taking an anti-depressant for my comorbid issues with anxiety/depression.

I recently discovered that the birth control pills that I was taking were severely affecting my depression issues. I stopped taking them entirely and it’s helped clear up my thoughts and emotions enormously. I’m still having motivational issues, but I’ve been reading that it can take a long time for hormones to balance themselves out…

I think you would be best served by making sure that your hormone levels are where they should be and that something isn’t having an adverse effect in that area of your life.

I know it’s hard and frustrating to feel like nothing is working. Three weeks ago, I was in the exact same boat, wondering what the point of anything was if I couldn’t function… It’s not 100% with me. It’s probably not even 50% with me, and your situation may be different than mine, but don’t give up. I know it’s easy to say, and I know that doing this without the support of family and friends is excruciating… but, it can get better. It’s a matter of finding what isn’t working for you and why it’s not working. I hope that you’re able to, and that you know you’re not alone.