Reply To: Has anyone found the best medication for feeling very overwhelmed?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Has anyone found the best medication for feeling very overwhelmed? Reply To: Has anyone found the best medication for feeling very overwhelmed?

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Rachelaf1200 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I had great success with Vyvanse; I was put on it after I was diagnosed and I was amazed at the clarity in which I could think and function — literally an ah-ha moment when I realized it was working. I suffered side effects and switched to Concerta and I am doing well most of the time. I complained to the doctor that it stopped working suddenly, and he pulled up our conversations from when I was at my best — we had talked about how I was working on reducing stress and I was exercising on a regular basis — and he said so, “Are you stressed and are you exercising?” My answer was I was stressed and no, I got too busy to workout — another light bulb moment. I am at my best when I find ways to reduce/manage stress and make a point of getting physical exercising. I firmly believe that taking care of yourself both inside and out is a required supplement to ADHD medication. I also see a physiologist as a way to have someone to cheer on my progress and help me accept that I am wired differently. Meds can help, but they cannot be an entire cure-all for ADHD.