Reply To: Anyone ever stop needing medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Anyone ever stop needing medication? Reply To: Anyone ever stop needing medication?

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user leelee2 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

OMG, this shrink sounds like a total mega moron! A quack! What a horrible situation for you to be in — I know the feeling of not having access to medications; I lost my job once and had no insurance to cover my antidepressants and I almost killed myself. The feeling of helplessness in the face of bureaucracy is overwhelming. I am a total space cadet without my generic Adderall. Seriously, I spaced out and put the dog’s water and bowl in the microwave and actually warmed it up instead of my coffee. I can’t get any work done without my meds and cannot pay attention to what my editor is talking to me about. I’m 11 years older than you and have learned every life skill there is to learn. (Slight exaggeration.) I have a wonderful psychiatrist, absolutely wonderful. What kind of med are you/were you on? I can’t believe a so-called doctor would force you to go off any med cold turkey in the first place. Is there a limit to how many controlled substances he can prescribe? Is he writing prescriptions for ADHD meds for himself in the name of his patients? It’s just strange. Hang in there; we’re with you!