Reply To: My 2nd grader doesn’t finish books he’s reading.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Learning Challenges My 2nd grader doesn’t finish books he’s reading. Reply To: My 2nd grader doesn’t finish books he’s reading.

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user brlk13 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I have an 11-year-old son in 5th grade who loves to read, is an excellent reader, reads more than most other 5th graders I know, and has zero interest in reading a long chapter book start to finish. He pops in and out of lots of different books as he pleases. Unless he has to finish one for a school assignment, I don’t worry about it. As long as he’s reading I don’t care what or how. His books, his way. I read to him and his 8-year-old brother still every night — something above their level to stretch their thinking and vocabulary — and we read start to finish a few chapters at a time. He has no problem tracking the story and playing back the details so I’m not worried about his reading comprehension. He really likes graphic novels, and there are many options out there at a variety of reading/age levels so if you’re really concerned that he finish a book end to end maybe give those a try? They tend to be more engaging for short attention spans.