Reply To: Frustrating Mornings

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Lmom in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

My 14 year old with ADD follows the same daily routine we began at 5. It requires parental monitoring – more in the first years. First everything that can be done the night before is done – clothes laid out; lunch packed; back pack packed shoes and coat next to back pack; pills on the kitchen table. In the bathroom everything is laid out on in order -tooth brush with paste, brush, washcloth, etc. In the morning we start in the kitchen eat, take meds and pick up clothes and go in the bathroom – do each item in order dressed – go to shoes, coat, backpack and out the door. We limit everything to two rooms: the kitchen and the bathroom that way there is little chance of getting distracted. Oh yes, we have a clock in the bathroom and the parent gives 15, 10 and 5 minute warnings. Consistently done, it becomes routine.

My son never resisted although getting up has always been difficult – I asked him what would help him fall asleep and we always at least tried his suggestions. I never accepted a refusal to get up – often I picked him up and carried him out to the chair and spoke loudly every time he started nodding off. Eventually he got better and now as a teen he is still pretty good but I do have to yell in at least twice to get him up as he sleeps right through the alarm!