Reply To: Frustrating Mornings

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user TannerT in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

One of the things you might want to consider is how he is waking up. Cortisol (stress hormone) is most abundant during the morning and given the added stress of a strict, timely routine during the mornings can result in total shut down. I’m 24 years old taking Vyvanse and also a total bear in the morning. Waking up to find out you have a full day of things you don’t find interesting can be very hard to cope with as a child with adhd. What always worked best for me was doing something distracting, stimulating, and rewarding to clear my head before school. If I didn’t I found myself dwelling on the amount of time before I was going to be able to do any of those things which resulted in immediate action. Which was,“I’m sick.”

Or, “I don’t want to/ am not getting ready.” And also resulted in a lack of focus at school. I was untreated for ADHD throughout my childhood so I had to develop a sense of strict discipline to cope. If you have any control over his classes. Try to make P.E./art in the mornings so he can get exercise while his meds are kicking in. Also, maybe make a point to him the earlier he gets ready the sooner/longer he will have to do whatever he enjoys most. The things we enjoy most can be torture if dangled over our heads but that’s all depending the workload we have to receive them. If it’s something quick and simple like getting ready for school that’s within our grasp. If it’s that, plus a full day of school, plus homework. It can be overwhelming. And we’re more likely to completely binge out on whatever it is we received until the wee hours of the night thus creating a more negative experience waking up. Look up the differences in chemicals of different medications and keep tabs on the things hes responding to that are creating a flight or fight response and talk to your provider about a faster acting medication. Also, if you can think of a reward for getting up earlier and taking his medication so he can sleep and wake up when it’s working. That works too. I do it to myself with the reward I won’t forget anything though.

Good luck.